Sanjha Morcha

All posts by webadmin

China could sidestep LAC mapping in talks

DEFENCE MINISTER MANOHAR PARRIKAR HAD SAID DEMARCATING THE LAC COULD GO A LONG WAY IN REDUCING TENSION ALONG BORDER

BEIJING: China on Tuesday emphasised the importance of dialogue to resolve the longstanding border dispute with India but gave enough indications that it is not up for mapping or demarcating the Line of Actual Control (LAC).

Beijing’s statement came a day before the two sides resume talks on the border issue in the Chinese capital after a gap of a year.

Visiting defence minister Manohar Parrikar raised the issue of demarcating the Line of Actual Control (LAC) during meetings in Beijing on Monday, saying it could go a long way in reducing tension along the border.

On Tuesday, China came as close to a public response to Parrikar’s remarks as possible, and it came hours before national security adviser AK Doval was to arrive in Beijing for the 19th round of talks between ‘Special Representatives’ on the boundary issue.

As it turns out, China is not ready to demarcate the border.

“With regard to Line of Actual Control (LAC), we can have further discussions on that. As for any breakthrough during the 19th session (of talks), I am not sure but I believe both sides have the willingness to continue with friendly discussions on that,” foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a regular news briefing.

Hua said after Parrikar’s meetings with Chinese officials and talks on the Line of Actual Control (LAC), it was seen the “two militaries have the common aspiration of enhancing military-to-military exchanges so as to build up mutual trust”.


From anger to violent rage

Disgust with the politics of Hindutva could combine with pan-Islamism to make this the worst summer in Kashmir, writes DAVID DEVADAS

So sharp and enraged were the public agitations in Handwara and Kupwara last week that a lot of people in Kashmir have been talking of a ‘return of 2010.’ Thankfully, things have settled down there, but the signs are worrying. Top police officers have spoken to senior army officers of the possibility that this will be the worst year yet for the forces. Comparisons with 2010 are natural. That was the year when mobs of Kashmiri youth took to the streets with stones and rage. Around 120 young men were killed that summer as the police and the Central Reserve Police Force repeatedly opened fire on belligerent crowds of youth. In early September that year, the Union cabinet was given a very alarming report about the situation. Indeed, so bad was the situation that the then chief minister, Omar Abdullah is said to have indicated to a cabinet committee in New Delhi that he did not want to return to Kashmir.

PTIThe sense that Kashmiris have been wronged by ‘outsiders’ has been boosted by recent events at the National Institute of Technology in Srinagar, at Handwara and Kupwara, and by perceptions that the media coverage of both have been biasedAlready, the portents this year are so worrying that comparisons with 2010 may turn out to be underestimates. Some people in Kashmir have talked excitedly of IndoPakistan and Sino-India tensions. They did not in 2010. Locally too, greater rage and frustration could be manifest than in 2010. A lot of Kashmiris have expressed amazement over the levels of the rage apparent in Kupwara district, which was considered safely dormant for India in the past.

In 2010 too, rage was partly animated by disappointment with the Omar Abdullah-led government, which was formed after the elections that were held in the winter of 2008. In 2016, there is not just disappointment but disgust with the established political process. This disgust and rage focuses on the BJP, which many Kashmiris not only disparage but deeply fear as the face of Hindu Right-wing animosity against Muslims in general and Kashmiris in particular. The PDP-BJP coalition is seen as a betrayal of poll promises; during the 2014 campaign PDP leaders had urged people to vote for the party in order to keep the BJP from coming from power.

Apart from the PDP-BJP tie-up, two other factors make the situation this year more dangerous than 2010. One of these is an increased sense of Islamic identity. This is partly a response to the RSS’s Hindudva ideology. This identity has also been strengthened by global currents emanating from the Gulf and elsewhere. There is greater acceptance of the idea that Muslims are under global siege by dominant powers, including a Christian West, Israel and a Hindu India. The third factor plugs into the second; insider-outsider antipathy has increased greatly since 2010. The sense that Kashmiris have been wronged by ‘outsiders’ has been boosted by recent events at the National Institute of Technology in Srinagar, at Handwara and Kupwara, and by perceptions that the media coverage of both have been biased.

The rage of 2010 was largely animated by anger over specific killings of innocent Kashmiris. The names of Wamiq Farooq, Tufail Mattoo and Zahid Farooq, who were teenagers when they were killed by forces that year — at least one of them was only returning from tuition — still reverberate in Kashmir. Rage increased after the murder of three young men who were lured to an army camp at Machil with the promise of work, killed, defaced, buried and described as Pakistani terrorists. Rewards were claimed by the army men, who were dismissed from service by a court martial in 2014. Many Kashmiris say that that measure of justice was not only too late, it was far too little. They should have been hanged, they say, to give an adequate signal to others who might want to misuse state power to murder innocents for personal gains.

The rage this year is clearly more generalised, and focuses more on what has now come to be widely perceived as an illegitimate establishment. This stems in large measure from the narratives and discourses that have been vigorously circulated over the past few years. A young Kashmiri taxi driver remarked with a sense of triumph that an Indian tourist had told him that Kashmir was illegally occupied. The young man does not know very much about history or geopolitics but is convinced that this must be true since an Indian says so. Sensible voices in the ruling establishment rue the fact that history and world affairs are not taught in school curricula. Orchestrated discourses naturally gain ground.

Partly owing to the recent narratives, there is more intense rage than in 2010. Despite a curfew, unarmed young men attacked an army camp last week. This was unheard of in the past. Students who were part of bands of young ‘stone-pelters’ told me in Old Town Baramulla in June 2010 that they only pelted the CRPF and the police, since these oppressed them. If an army truck came by, they let it pass. Lt Gen Naresh Marwah (retired), who was the Corps Commander in the Kashmir Valley that year, confirms that not a single army vehicle was attacked that year. This was despite the fact that there was anger against the Machil fake encounter and the killing of an elderly beggar who had approached an army camp gate in Kupwara that spring. Nor, adds Marwah, did the army fire a single shot during that summer of unprecedented rebellion with stones. Last week, by contrast, unarmed youth attacked an army camp in Kupwara, something that was unheard of in the past. They have also been attacking police stations and vehicles of both the forces. That is a very sobering indicator of just how bad things could get — and relatively soon.


Odd-Even being applied on Manali-Leh highway

,Monday
The Lahaul-Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh has decided to implement the ‘odd and even’ system on the Manali-Leh highway from Monday. This comes after regular reports of traffic jams on the Manali-Koksar road after the Rohtang Pass was opened. On odd dates, vehicles would be allowed from Manali towards Lahaul-Spiti, while it will be the reverse on even dates.

Indian Army sharpens its proactive war strategy with ‘Shatrujeet’ exercise in Thar desert

Story image for indian army news from Zee News

New Delhi: The Indian Army is conducting a massive exercise ‘Shatrujeet’ in the Thar desert near to the border with Pakistan to fine-tune its proactive war strategy to respond swiftly to any threat to nation’s security.
As per a report in The Times of India, the exercise is being steered by the 1 Corps – one of the three principle `strike corps of the Indian Army` – based in Mathura near Delhi.Several infantry, armoured and artillery fomations are taking part in the operations being conducted under a simulated nuclear, biological, chemical warfare environment. Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag will review the final phase of the exercise.

The exercise is o critical importance for the Indian Army as Pakistan has often flaunted its 60-km Hatf-IX missiles as a counter to India’s conventional military superiority. Shatrujeet aims to fine-tune the strategy to tackle the threat.

The TOI quotes a defence expert as saying, “Pakistan might be foolish enough to talk about tactical nukes as weapons but India’s no-first-use nuclear policy is clear. It warns of a massive and harsh retaliation to any first NBC strike by an adversary, be it tactical or strategic.”

To add teeth to the strategy, the Shatrujeet exercise will also see major airborne operations, including para-dropping of around 3,000 soldiers.


Shopian encounter: Villagers blame Army for vandalising graveyard where militants are buried

Villagers in South Kashmir’s Karimabad and Gudoora are up in arms against the army and blamed them for vandalizing and desecrating the graveyard at Karimabad village

en by Mir Ehsan | Srinagar | Updated: April 10, 2016 1:20 am

J&K encounter, J&K terrorist encounter, Hizbul Mujahideen militants, Hizbul Mujahideen, militants, militants encounter, Jammu and Kashmir encounter, Kashmir protests, Shopian encounter, JK Shopian encounter, india newsA police vehicle was set on fire in Karimabad on Thursday. (Source: AP)

Villagers in South Kashmir’s Karimabad and Gudoora are up in arms against the army and blamed them for vandalizing and desecrating the graveyard at Karimabad village where militants who were killed on Thursday are buried.

Army, however, denied the allegations and termed it as a ploy to malign the image of the army by separatists.

On Thursday after killing two militants at Vehil Shopian, the villagers intercepted the police bulletproof vehicle at Muran chowk in which body of a militant was being carried. The villagers hijacked the vehicle and later set it on fire while the body of militant Naseer Ahmad Pandit who was a former police constable turned militant was buried in the graveyard of his native village Karimabad.

The villagers alleged that the army at night came to the village and took away the damaged vehicle and also vandalized the graveyard and desecrated the graves. “This has been done by the army and their agents who are not happy with the participation of huge number of people in the militant funerals,’’ a villager alleged.

Even some villagers alleged that they (army) also damaged an apple orchard in the neighborhood of the graveyard.

On social networking sites, many people reacted on the desecration of the graveyard and termed it as an inhuman act and circulated the pictures of the graveyard. “After yesterday’s (Friday) massive participation in the funeral of Naseer & Waseem in South Kashmir, the desecration of the martyr’s graveyard perhaps by frustrated Indian army only reiterates that our revolutionaries even after death haunt the Indian army. This growing insecurity of India on Kashmir is encouraging,’’ Khurram Parvez, a human rights activist wrote on the face book.

Army on its part strongly termed these allegations as baseless and said the story has been cooked up by separatists with an obvious intent to malign the fair image of the army.

“The Indian Army, during the Kargil conflict, had given a befitting and honorable military burial to even Pakistani soldiers. Desecrating the ‘graves’ of our own youth even if they are misguided is unimaginable for a disciplined force with a proven track record in displaying due dignity to the adversary during and after combat,’’ the army spokesman said adding that such irresponsible allegations are only indicative of intellectual bankruptcy of ignorant and ill informed minds.

– See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/shopian-encounter-villagers-blame-army-for-vandalising-graveyard-where-militants-are-buried/#sthash.xyaO5hmz.dpuf


General Dalbir Singh calls on his US counterpart

Army Chief General Dalbir Singh on Friday met the Chief of Staff of the US Army (CSA) Gen. Mark A. Milley during his ongoing four-day visit to the United States.

General Singh was given the Guard of Honour in an Army Full Honour Arrival Ceremony.

Earlier, he paid homage at Arlington National Cemetery in the Army Full Honour Wreath Ceremony at the ‘Tomb of Unknown Soldiers’.

The Indian Army Chief later visited the Pentagon and called on the Chairman, Joint Chief of Staff (CJCS) and Commandant, US Marine Corps.

The military and security leaders of both nations discussed a range of strategic and security issues of mutual interest.

The Indian Army Chief is scheduled to visit one of the regiments of the US Army Rangers and the Maneuver Center of Excellence.


Army recruitments focusing on proper verification

Ravi Krishnan Khajuria

Tribune News Service

Jammu, April 7

At its recruitment rallies in the state, the Army has been relying on different stages of verification and character certificate to check youth with separatist sentiment, or shady past, from donning the olive green.While the Army’s recruitment rallies have been evoking overwhelming response from youths of the state, in recent times there have been instances of some BSF personnel (serving and retired) spying for Pakistan in the state.However, the response to such rallies could be gauged from the fact that 42,868 candidates had registered themselves for one a rally that started at Samba on April 2.The Delhi Police Crime Branch, in November last year, had arrested a BSF head constable and a Rajouri-based resident on charges of leaking sensitive information to Pakistani spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).However, a Defence official said, “There is an in-built mechanism in the Army to monitor every single recruit. Instead of being apprehensive, we should appreciate the state-centric recruitment rallies.”While the Army has plans to conduct two more recruitment rallies in Bandipora and Anantnag in Kashmir region, Deputy Director General Recruiting (Punjab and J&K) Brigadier JS Samyal had said at Samba that candidates proceed to the final stage of selection only after proper verification.“Candidates have to go through different stages of verification and are required to submit a character certificate from the police. Hence, there are no possibilities of such incidents,” Brigadier Samyal had said. The Army has been conducting these recruitment rallies across the state to ameliorate socio-economic condition of unemployed youth of the state.


Contest polls to achieve OROP, say veterans

Ex-servicemen stage a protest outside Finance Minister Arun Jaitley's residence over implementation of OROP, in New Delhi on Sunday. Photo: V. Sudershan.
The Hindu

Ex-servicemen stage a protest outside Finance Minister Arun Jaitley’s residence over implementation of OROP, in New Delhi on Sunday. Photo: V. Sudershan.

Protesting ex-servicemen called upon their community to contest elections and have their own political representation to achieve One Rank One Pension in its rightful form.

The call was given by several veterans in a major rally organised at Jantar Mantar on Sunday.

“We have given a call to ex-servicemen to contest elections to State Assemblies, Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha. We are a six-crore vote bank and we should have our own representatives to achieve our demands,” Group Captain V.K. Gandhi (retd), general secretary of the Indian Ex-Servicemen Movement said.

He said that if they remained united with our vote bank they would be able to fill at least 25 per cent seats in each Assembly and about 30 MPs in the Lok Sabha. However he denied that United Front of Ex-Servicemen Movement (UFESM) was contesting polls. “If someone comes to us and if they have good credentials we will support them,” Mr. Gandhi stated.http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/contest-polls-to-achieve-orop-say-veterans/article8434252.ece


Security personnel gun down militant in Pulwama, another gunfight on in Kupwara

SRINAGAR: A militant has been killed in one of the two ongoing gun battles between government forces and militants in Kashmir on Tuesday.

PTI PHOTOArmy personnel at the site where militants were hiding during an encounter in Kupwara district of Kashmir on Tuesday.“A militant identified as Bilal Ahmad of Karimabad Pulwama has been killed. The encounter has not yet finished,” said superintendent of police Pulwama, Rais Mohammad.

Two gun battles between government forces and militants were going-on at two separate places in Kashmir on Tuesday.

While one encounter raged between security forces and militants in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district, another was going on in north Kashmir’s Kupwara.

A police official said the forces received inputs about the presence of militants in Gudoora village of Pulwama.

Following the information, a joint party of army’s 55 Rashtriya Rifles and police’s special operations group cordoned the village.

“The militants opened fire on the security forces. The cordon is in place and cross-firing is going on,” said the official.

Even as the encounter was underway, hundreds of youth around the encounter sight started pelting stones on the forces.

Police had to use tear gas shells to disperse the youth.

The stone pelting clashes were going on till late evening.

Meanwhile, searches continued in the forests of Kashmir’s frontier district of Kupwara after suspected militants opened fire on a patrolling party of security forces.

Police officials said that a joint party of 28 Rashtriya Rifles and police’s special operations group were patrolling the districts’ Darpora area when they were fired upon by suspected militants.

“There is intermittent firing between the forces and the militants. It is a huge forest area and the searches are going on,” said superintendent of police, Kupwara, Aijaz Ahmad.


India’s First Gorkha Regiment gets new Battalion

The historical First Gorkha regiment of the Indian army has raised a new battalion on Friday at Subathu Cantonment, which is the birth place of the First Gorkha Rifles in Himachal Pradesh. The move is historical as the Gorkha regiment has raised a new battalion after a gap of almost five decades. As of now First Gorkha Regiment has five battalions and the new battalion would be known as 6/1GR.

The announcement about the raising of this battalion was made by Lt Gen Ravi Thodge, Master General of Ordinance and Colonel of the Regiment in October 2015 during the grand celebrations of Reunion-cum-Bicentenary of the Regiment.

First Gorkha regiment was raised on April 24, 1815 at Subathu Cantonment. The raising celebrations included wreath laying, special sainik sammelan and prayers at the regimental mandir to invoke the benign blessings of Goddess Durga. Lt Gen Ravi Thodge conveyed his best wishes to all ranks of newly raised battalion and exhorted them to perform at their best and to serve the nation in a manner befitting the magnificent Indian Army.

He also brought out that a modern and professional Indian army has to always be ready for any challenges that come its way. Colonel Avaneesh Chambial, has been appointed as the first commanding officer of the new battalion.