Current Events :









Tribune News Service
New Delhi, Feb 13
The anti-terror probe agency NIA on Saturday said it had filed a supplementary chargesheet in a special court in Jammu against Hizb-ul-Mujahideen terrorist Naveed Mushtaq Shah alias Naveed Babu in a case relating to the attack on the CRPF convoy in Jammu and Kashmir’s Banihal in March 2019.
The charges have been framed under various sections of Ranbir Penal Code (RPC), Explosive Substances Act, Jammu and Kashmir Public Property (Prevention of Damage) Act and Unlawful Activities (Pervention) Act- UAPA.
In the chargesheet it has been alleged that accused Naveed Babu, who is a former constable of Jammu and Kashmir Police, had deserted the force with arms and ammunition in 2017 when he was posted as a guard at FCI, Budgam, NIA officials said, adding that he later joined the terrorist group Hizb-ul-Mujahideen and became an active terrorist.“Investigation has established that accused Naveed was actively involved in the planning and execution of the attack on the CRPF convoy in Banihal along with other terrorists Riyaz Ahmed Naikoo, Rayees Ahmed Khan and Dr Saifullah Mir, who were subsequently killed in encounters with security forces.
“The deceased terrorists Sahil Abdullah Bhat, Adil Bashir Sheikh and Zubair Ahmed Wani were also actively involved in preparation of the explosives that went into the making of the IED,” said a senior NIA official
Charges have also been abated against the deceased terrorists involved in the conspiracy, the official added.
“The case relates to an attack on the CRPF convoy at Tethar, Banihal, in Ramban district of J&K by a terrorist who had exploded an explosive laden Santro car on March 30, 2019 with the intention of killing security personnel and waging war against the Government of India,” the NIA said in a statement.
In this regard, an FIR was registered at Police Station Banihal and the NIA re-registered the case on April 15, 2019 and took over the investigation of the case, it said, adding that the agency had earlier filed chargesheet against six Hizb-ul-Mujahideen terrorists for their role in the attack.
iqbal Singh (donning a blue turban) was seen at the Red fort on February 13, in New Delhi. Tribune Photo: Mukesh Aggarwal
New Delhi, February 13
The Delhi Police Crime Branch, probing the Red Fort violence on Republic Day, took the arrested accused Deep Sidhu and Iqbal Singh to Red Fort on Saturday to recreate the crime scene.
The Crime Branch is studying the route taken by Sidhu and Iqbal to reach Red Fort when the violence broke out on January 26 during the farmers’ tractor rally. The Crime Branch is probing if it was part of a larger conspiracy.
Also read: ‘Youth arrested for R-Day violence joined farm protest only on January 28’
Forty-five-year-old Iqbal Singh hails from Ludhiana. He, along with Punjabi actor-activist Deep Sidhu and others, was part of the tractor rally that changed course and created chaos in the national capital. His videos went viral on social media where he was purportedly heard threatening cops on duty and inciting protesters to go on a rampage.
Following the violence, Delhi Police announced cash reward of Rs 1 lakh each for Deep Sidhu, Jugraj Singh, Gurjot Singh and Gurjant Singh, and Rs 50,000 each for Jagbir Singh, Buta Singh, Sukhdev Singh and Iqbal Singh for their alleged involvement in the violence that saw at least one person die and several injured, including policemen.
Sidhu and Iqbal Singh are in police remand and the Crime Branch is probing all angles to the violence and also who else aided them on January 26 and sheltered them when they were on the run. — IANS

ubramanian Swamy. PTI file
Tribune Web Desk
Chandigarh, February 13
Subramanian Swamy took to Twitter on Saturday to criticise the Centre’s treatment of the farmers’ agitation.
The BJP MP said the farmers agitation may soon become an international issue as human rights groups plan to approach the International Labour Organisation of the United Nations.
“The farmer agitation may soon become an international issue. Human rights groups plan to approach the International Labour Organisation, UN Body, in which India is a member, which could take it up. As Chairman of Labour Standards, I produced, in 1996, a three volume Report for Govt,” Swamy tweeted.
Also read:
Deep Sidhu, Iqbal Singh taken to Red Fort to recreate crime scene
Right to protest cannot be anytime, everywhere: Supreme Court
‘Youths arrested for R-Day violence joined farm protest only on January 28
MC MP Mahua Moitra during the ongoing Budget Session of Parliament in New Delhi on February 11, 2021. PTI file photo
Tribune News Service
New Delhi, February 13
Trinamool Congress Member of Parliament Mahua Moitra has claimed she is being put under “some sort of surveillance” after Border Security Force (BSF) officers were deputed outside her Delhi residence.
Mitra raised this allegation in a letter addressed to the SHO of Barakhamba police station, which was also marked to Delhi Police Commissioner SN Shrivastava, and has requested withdrawal of the security which she “neither ask nor want”.
The force as per her was deputed outside her house late on Friday night and it was done after a visit from SHO of Barakhamba Police Station visited her the same evening.The Krishnanagar MP has alleged the officers were noting all the movements coming in and going out of her residence.
“The conduct of these armed officers indicates that they are making notes of movements to and fro from my residence, it appears to me that I am under some sort of surveillance. I wish to remind you that Right of Privacy is a Fundamental Right, guaranteed to me, as a citizen of this country, under the Constitution of India, 1950,” Mitra wrote in her letter.
“Upon making inquiries, I was informed that the armed officers from Police Station Barakhamba Road for my protection, however, I being an ordinary citizen of this country, did neither ask or want any such protection. Therefore, you are kindly requested to withdraw these officers,” she added.
Gurbax Rawat speech during a public Meeting at sector 68 Mohali Smt. Gurbax Rawat Councillor & Former Deputy Mayor Chandigarh addressing public at sector 68 Mohali during a public meeting for MC Election Mohali in presence of S. Balbir Singh Sidhu (MLA Mohali, Punjab)

Lieutenant General NS Raja Subramani (left) takes over General Officer Commanding of the Ambala-based Kharga Corps from Lt Gen SS Mahal. Tribune photo
Tribune News Service
Chandigarh, February 12
Lieutenant General NS Raja Subramani has been appointed as the General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the Ambala-based Kharga Corps, one of the Army’s three-strike formations.
He takes over from Lt Gen SS Mahal. On change of guard today, both the commanders paid tributes to martyrs at the Vijay Samark War memorial in Ambala Cantonment.
Commissioned into the Gharwal Rifles, Lt Gen Subramani has vast operational experience and has held important command and staff appointments in peace, field’ and active counter-insurgency environment and possesses. This includes GOC of the Black Cat Division in the north-east and GOC Uttar Bharat Area.
Meanwhile, Lt Gen PS Minhas took over as the GOC of Konark Corps headquartered at Jodhpur, from Lt General Anil Puri. Prior to this, Lt Gen Mihnas, an Armoured Corps officer, was the GOC, Madhya Bharat Area, and had earlier commanded the White Tiger Division.
Vijay Mohan
Tribune News Service
Chandigarh, February 12
The Armed Forces Tribunal has ruled that the next of kin of a soldier who dies while on duty combating natural calamities is entitled to higher pensionary benefits than those applicable to death during routine service.
Closing the case of the widow of a soldier, who lost his life while extinguishing a forest fire on the Indo-China border, the tribunal has directed the Centre to grant her Liberalised Family Pension rather than Special Family Pension that she was getting.
Liberalised Family Pension is equivalent to the last drawn emoluments of the deceased, and is applicable in case where death occurs during operations or other specified field circumstances, whereas Special Family Pension is 60 per cent of the last drawn pay.
Champa Devi’s husband, late Naik Surinder Kumar of the Punjab Regiment, was deployed near the China border in the northeast when he died after he was called to assist in extinguishing a forest fire. He died after a tree fell on him.
Though the Army had declared the death a “battle casualty” as per applicable provisions, the office of the Principal Controller of Defence Accounts (Pensions) at Allahabad had rejected her papers saying the death fell in the category of rules which dealt with organised sports and recreation.
Setting aside the rejection order of the accounts branch, the tribunal’s Bench comprising Justice Mohammad Tahir and Vice Admiral HCS Bisht held that the death fell in the category of the rules that dealt with deaths arising out of duty during natural calamities, which entitled a widow to Liberalised Family Pension.