Sanjha Morcha

What’s New

Click the heading to open detailed news

Current Events :

web counter

Print Media Reproduced Defence Related News

Army school plants 1,000 saplings at autumn fest

Rajouri, August 5

To develop cordial relations between students, staff and parents, the management of Army Goodwill Public School organised an ‘Autumn Fete’ here on Saturday.The function, inaugurated by Maj Gen MV Suchindra, General Officer Commanding, Infantry Division, was attended by more than 600 students, staff and parents. They enjoyed various games organised by the school on the campus.Maj General Suchindra also inaugurated a plantation drive under which more than 1,000 saplings were planted by the students, parents and the staff.“The school also moved a step forward in the direction of digitisation and academic excellence by inaugurating ‘Gramonnati Centre e-Pathshala’ with facilities of tablets, laptops and accessories for the students between Class VI and VIII, especially for hostel inmates,” said a senior Army officer.He said Bansal coaching classes with an e-pathsala facility had been launched so that Class IX to XII students could prepare for the board and competitive exams.“To make the Autumn Fete more interesting, educative and successful, the students of the school also organised a cultural show for the audience,” said a school spokesman. — OC


Army veterans’ pension issues addressed

Our Correspondent

Palampur, July 31

The DAH Division of the Army organised a defence pension adalat at its station headquarters in Palampur on Tuesday. The event was held in continuation with its effort to reach out to veterans and resolve their problems pertaining to pension and their welfare issues.The meet was also aimed at addressing issue pertaining to the ESM (ex-servicemen) and acquaint them with various schemes and programmes for enhancing quality of life of the veterans. The meet was another step towards helping the veterans and Veer Naris register themselves for the preparation of the ECHS smart cards.Brig Charandeep Singh, Station Commander, apprised the ex-servicemen that the application cum-registration facilitation centre, had been made operational at the ECHS Cell, Palampur, and the ECHS Polyclinic, Mandi.He also encouraged the veterans, Veer Naris and widows to get themselves registered on the Indian Army veteran’s portal. During the meet, the veterans were also apprised that 2018 would be celebrated as the year of disabled soldiers. The veterans were intimated to forward the details of disable soldiers and Veer Naris residing in their native areas to the Veterans Sahayta Kendra, Palampur. The meet was attended by a large number of ex-servicemen and Veer Naris, who came from different parts of Kangra and Mandi District.A talk on welfare schemes was also given by Brig SK Verma (Retd), Director, Sainik Welfare, Government of HP, Hamirpur. During the event, the DPDO, Palampur, resolved most of the grievances pertaining to the pension of veterans on the spot.


CM urges NCC to help check drug abuse

CM urges NCC to help check drug abuse

CM Jai Ram Thakur interacts with Additional Director General, NCC Directorate, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh, Maj General RS Maan, in Shimla on Monday. Tribune photo

Tribune News Service

Shimla, July 30

Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur urged NCC officers to join hands with the state government in checking drug abuse, afforestation programme and making the state polythene-free. Efforts will be made to ensure that there are NCC teachers in all schools and colleges having the NCC wing, he added.Interacting with Additional Director General, NCC directorate of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh, Major General RS Maan, he said Prime Minister Narendra Modi was giving special thrust on expanding and strengthening the NCC activities in the country.He said at present, there were 16 lakh NCC cadets in the country and efforts were being made to increase their number to 19 lakh. He said Himachal had 23,000 NCC cadets.Major General RS Maan apprised him of various activities being undertaken by the NCC in the state. He also urged the Chief Minister for enhancing the budget for the NCC.


Tributes paid to Kargil martyrs

Jammu, July 27

To honour the sacrifices of brave soldiers who laid down their lives during the 1999 Kargil war, the 19th anniversary of the Kargil Vijay Diwas was observed on Thursday at Shradhanjali Park, Udhampur, with solemnity and dignity.Lt Gen Paramjit Singh, Chief of Staff, Headquarters, Northern Command, along with a large number of personnel andcivil officials, paid homage to the martyrs by lighting candles.The day is a special occasion for the Army as it is the anniversary of the rarest battle which was fought and won in the most adverse and challenging conditions.Observing Vijay Diwas was a humble tribute to the martyrs and an acknowledgement of their valour andsacrifice, a Northern Command spokesperson said


State police set to purchase 50 bullet-resistant bunker vehicles

State police set to purchase 50 bullet-resistant bunker vehicles

Security men come of a bulletproof bunker during an encounter. file photo

Jammu, July 28

Amid a spike in terror attacks on security forces in Kashmir, the police are set to purchase 50 bullet-resistant bunker (BRB) vehicles with a higher level of protection from gunfire.The J&K Police have recently floated tenders for the purchase of the 50 BRB 4X4 vehicles with NIJ-III level protection that would shield them against fire from self-loading rifles (SLRs) and AK-47 rifles.The NIJ-III level is a standard set by the US-based National Institute of Justice (NIJ) for body armour.Hundred militants and 43 security personnel were killed in Jammu and Kashmir in the first six months of this year, the government informed the Rajya Sabha recently.Sixteen civilians were also killed during this period, which saw 256 incidents of violence.The police will get 50 bullet-proof bunker vehicles for protection of security personnel against terror attacks in insurgency-hit areas of Kashmir, a senior police official said on Saturday.The BRB vehicles should have specifications to give protection against fire from SLRs and AK-47 rifles on four sides at 90 degree angle of attack from 10 metre and roof at 45 degree of the attack from 10 metre, the official said.The NIJ standard “Ballistic Resistance of Body Armour” is a minimum performance standard developed in collaboration with the Office of Law Enforcement Standards (OLES) of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).The NIJ level-III protection is tested to stop 7.62mm full metal jacket lead core rifle ammunition.The bullet resistant glasses should have the required thickness with finest optical quality minimum distortion to be used as transparent armours, which must be capable of withstanding NIJ level-III protection, he said.The official said the vehicle must give protection against 8 kg of TNT and equivalent and its underbelly shall be protected against blasts of two hand grenades.The vehicle must be able to accommodate 10 people in a bullet-proof single cabin, the official said.As per the specifications, the fuel tanks of the vehicles should also be bullet-proof.When Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Jammu and Kashmir last year, he had announced a package of Rs 500 crore for the modernisation of the Jammu and Kashmir Police under the PM Development Programme and that is under procurement.Union Minister Hansraj Gangaram Ahir recently said in the Rajya Sabha that in 2017, 342 incidents of “violence” were reported in Jammu and Kashmir, in which 213 militants were killed. A total of 80 security personnel and 40 civilians were killed last year, Ahir said. — PTI


BSF jawan cremated with state honours at Ballianwal village

BSF jawan cremated with state honours at Ballianwal village

Tribune News Service

Bathinda, July 21

The body of BSF jawan Baljinder Singh, who died by drowning in a river while on duty in Manipur, was cremated with state honours at his native village Ballianwali here on Saturday.BSF Inspector Bant Singh team who brought the body to the jawan’s village presented a guard of honour to the martyr at the village.Maur MLA Jagdev Singh Kamalu, SHO Bhupinder Singh and hundreds of people, who poured in from different parts of the district, bid a tearful adieu to the soldier.Baljinder’s mother Pammi Kaur said Baljinder was to come on holiday in a few days. She said due to poor economic condition of the family, Baljinder had joined the BSF.The BSF Inspector said martyr Baljinder was posted with the 43 battalion in Manipur.“He was returning from duty when the boat in which he, along with five officials, was travelling lost its balance and drowned in the river,” the Inspector added.Residents were unhappy as no official from the district administration reached the village to attend the cremation ceremony of the BSF jawan.MLA Kamlu said it was unfortunate that no official from the district administration had turned up for the cremation.Villagers unhappy with dist admn

  • Baljinder’s mother Pammi Kaur said Baljinder was to come on holiday in a few days. She said due to poor economic condition of the family, Baljinder had joined the BSF.
  • Residents were unhappy as no official from the district administration reached the village to attend the cremation of the BSF jawan. MLA Kamlu said it was unfortunate that no official from the district administration had turned up for the cremation.

Ex-hockey capt Shahid’s widow to return medals

Shahira Naim

Tribune News Service

Lucknow , July 17

On the second death anniversary of former Indian hockey captain Mohammad Shahid on July 20, his widow Parveen plans to meet the PM in New Delhi and return his awards. She is hurt at the government not keeping its word on naming a stadium or tournament after him.Shahid, one of India’s finest hockey players known for his dribbling skills, was the national team captain in 1985-86. He scored the goal that helped India win the gold at the 1980 Moscow Olympics. He was decorated with the Arjuna Award in 1980–1981 and Padma Shri in 1986.Speaking to The Tribune, Parveen said when her 56-year-old husband passed away in Gurgaon two years ago, she was promised by then Minister of State for Sports Vijay Goel that an all-India tournament would be named after him. “Several important persons visited my house in Varanasi and promised me help. One of the promises made was that the Diesel Locomotive Works stadium in Varanasi would be re-named after my husband, who was a Class I officer with the Indian Railways.“A board with my husband’s name was hung at the DLW stadium. I was told a senior minister would formally rename the stadium. But nothing happened. The board too has been removed”, she complained. After numerous written complaints to the PM’s office in Varanasi and several futile attempts to meet the PM, who represents the Varanasi constituency, Parveen has finally decided to return the awards which, she says, mean nothing.Varanasi District Magistrate Surendra Singh, who met her on Tuesday, took note of her grievances.

Her grouse

Mohammad Shahid’s widow Parveen says govt hasn’t kept word on naming tourney/stadium after him. She now plans to meet the PM. One among India’s finest hockey players, Shahid captained the Indian team in 1985-86.


Plantation drive at Yol Cantt area

Plantation drive at Yol Cantt area

Rising Star Corps Commander Lt Gen YVK Mohan leads a plantation drive in Yol Cantonment on Saturday. Photo: Ashok Raina

Our Correspondent

Kangra, July 15

The Commander of Rising Star Corps, Lt Gen YVK Mohan, on Saturday launched a plantation drive. As many as 2,700 saplings will be planted in the Yol Cantonment area.Lt Col Devender Anand, defence spokesperson, said the General Officer Commanding (GOC), Rising Star Corps, led the drive by planting a sapling at ‘Tank Trophy’ on the Brigade Bazar road in Yol Cantonment.He said the GOC highlighted the importance of plantation in the wake of global warming and ecological imbalance.Lt Col Anand said the ‘Go green’ drive aimed at encouraging people to plant more and more trees.


In big shift, defence uniforms by private companies available at Army Canteens

defence-uniform-agencies

NEW DELHI: Private companies can now manufacture uniforms for the defence services.

Branded fabric and fashion retailer Raymond has begun supplying uniform cloth to the defence ministry’s Canteen Stores Department (CSD) for Indian Air Force and Indian Army, the army has said.

Raymond cloth is now available for army’s olive green uniform, commonly known as OG, and IAF’s summer dress.

“Initial order quantity has been supplied to most of the CSD depots,” said Col Aman Ana ..

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/64911830.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

These are the 6 fighter jets in the race for an Indian Air Force contract. Again

In a re-run of the scrapped MMRCA race, the same six companies with the same aircraft will compete for the same order from the same customer.

New Delhi: Tragedy and farce hang like spectres over the Indian Air Force’s efforts to procure fighter jets.

The first ended in tragedy, and a deadline of sorts for a second, or third, attempt ends Friday, with six foreign vendors’ responses to a 73-page Request for Information (RFI).

In the re-run of the scrapped MMRCA (Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft) race, the same six companies with the same six aircraft would be intending to compete for the same order from the same customer. Only, this time the customer, Indian Air Force, has pared down the numbers from 126 to 110.

“…Doing the same thing over again and expecting different results used to be a definition of lunacy,” former navy chief and aviator, Admiral Arun Prakash (retired) tweeted recently in response to a discussion on the RFI. “It would be a great shame if logic, economics and jointness do not persuade IAF and IN (Indian Air Force and Indian Navy) to select the same aircraft. MoD (Ministry of Defence) should consider issuing a fiat.”

Admiral Prakash was highlighting the fact that the navy was also looking to procure 57 deck-based fighter jets. Though the requirement of carrier-borne jets is demanding of a maritime capability, he has argued in favour of looking at synergies among the platforms of the different services.

Competing jets

Boeing’s  F/A-18E/F  Super Hornet Block III, Lockheed Martin’s F-16 Fighting Falcon Block 70,  Dassault Aviation’s Rafale F3R, Eurofighter Typhoon, Saab’s Gripen E and Russian United Aircraft Corporation’s MiG-35 will be vying for a IAF contract conservatively estimated at $18 billion over 12 years. Four of these six companies are also in contention for the navy order.

In the time that the last tender was scrapped (2015) and now, the aircraft have been made more modern in a military aviation equivalent of software upgrades on smartphones. In that time, the Modi administration contracted 36 Rafales from France in a befuddling government-to-government order.

Befuddling because the IAF had projected a requirement for 126 (six squadrons) of the aircraft. Its projection was based on the government’s operational directive to be prepared for a two-front war. The directive has remained unchanged since 2009.

Between 2015 and now, the IAF was also asked to consider buying 114 single-engine fighters through a competitive process. That was scrapped, again, in April and the current RFI was issued. This one, like the MMRCA contest initiated in 2007, does not specify the number of engines that the winning aircraft should have.

Consequently, among the six competitors are two single-engine fighters (the F-16 and the Gripen) and four twin-engined ones.

There is one big difference, though, with the scrapped 2007 tender: the foreign vendors are now required to tie-up with an Indian ‘strategic partner’ that may be a private sector entity. The last MMRCA race had specified the defence public sector Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd as the ‘lead integrator’.

After extensive flight evaluation trials, the IAF down-selected the Eurofighter Typhoon and the Rafale. The Rafale was announced as the winner because it was relatively cheaper. But the two aircraft were the most expensive to begin with.

Next stage

Now, the IAF has said it wants to buy 82 single-seat fighters and 28 twin-seaters. Most (75 per cent) of the aircraft will have to be made in India. This would mean that the global majors will have to set up assembly lines in the country.

The RFI responses is only the first stage in a long-drawn procurement process. After examining the responses, the defence establishment will draft the Request for Proposals (RFP) — the actual global tender. The RFP will lay down in detail the technical parameters the IAF wants for its next fighter jet. It is unlikely that they will be very different from the parameters that led to them choosing the Rafale, 36 of which have been contracted.

After trials and evaluations, the government will select the aircraft with the cost factor likely to override many of the other considerations. A contract negotiation committee will finally determine the value of the order. It was at this stage that the last MMRCA contract came unstuck.