Sanjha Morcha

What’s New

Click the heading to open detailed news

Current Events :

web counter

Print Media Reproduced Defence Related News

2,000 ex-Armymen under 50 to be inducted into CISF as govt looks to ‘rehabilitate’ them

CISF jawans (representational image) | ThePrint photo

CISF jawans (representational image) | ThePrint photo

New Delhi: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has directed to engage 2,000 ex-Army personnel in the ranks of inspector and below, in various units of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) on a contractual basis. The move aims to ‘help and rehabilitate’ retired Army men, said an official.

These appointments will be done on an experimental basis, in the ratio of 75:25 — 75 per cent will be serving CISF personnel and 25 per cent former Army men on contract — for different posts at selected units.

“The intention behind this is to help ex-Army personnel and for their rehabilitation. This had been in the pipeline and took shape now. We hope that this initiative will help retired Army men,” said chief PRO, CISF, DIG Amil Pandey.

Initially, 2,000 personnel — which include 1,326 constables, 424 head constables, 137 assistant sub-inspector and 63 sub-inspectors — will be deployed across 13 units identified by the CISF. The appointments will be made according to corresponding ranks in the Army.

For instance, a sepoy will be a constable, a havaldar will be deployed as a head constable.

The spokesperson also said the ex-Army men to be recruited will be under 50 years of age.

“The applications are open for officials who have retired from Army and are under 50 years of age. Army has various provisions of superannuation even after completion of five years of service also,” Pandey said.

The industrial units where these personnel will first be deployed are — in Bilaspur (Chhattisgarh), Anpara, Obra, Unchahar and Kasimpur (Uttar Pradesh), Sidhi (Madhya Pradesh), Nazira (Assam), Angul (Odisha), Farakka and Kolkata (West Bengal), Neyveli (Tamil Nadu), Raichur (Karnataka) and Ukai (Gujarat).

All the applications, the spokesperson said, will have to be submitted by 15 March following which the recruitment process will begin. Initially, the recruitment will be done for a period of two years, but an assessment will be carried out first in six months and then after a year.

The deployment in these selected units in the above ratio will be reviewed by the MHA after six months and 12 months for considering further expansion of such deployment at other units.

 The CISF will also come out with an advertisement inviting applications from eligible candidates.

“The selection of candidates will depend upon years of service, their age and capabilities. This is the first time these recruitments are being done,” a senior CISF officer said.

Also read: CISF officer asked me if I am an Indian, because I don’t know Hindi — MP Kanimozhi


‘Unarmed units to assist CISF’

The former Army men, who will be inducted to assist the CISF personnel deployed at various industrial units, will be unarmed. Their duties will include unarmed patrolling, checking of vehicles at entry points, access control, keeping a watch from watch towers and the like.

“They will be a part of the unarmed component to assist the CISF personnel who are on duty. They will be inducted for various support duties,” Pandey said.

“From keeping a watch to patrolling, they will be trained for all this after the appointments are made,” he added.


Also read: How CISF transformed itself into a revenue-earning modern security force


Yogendra Yadav incited farmers, Ravneet Bittu tells Lok Sabha Punjab MP says if govt nabs Yadav, it will be able to talk directly to the farmers

Yogendra Yadav incited farmers, Ravneet Bittu tells Lok Sabha

Ravneet Singh Bittu. File photo

Vibha Sharma

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, February 10

Congress MP Ravneet Singh Bittu on Tuesday accused activist Yogendra Yadav of inciting the farmers that led to violence on Republic Day.

Speaking during the motion of thanks on the President’s Address in Lok Sabha on Tuesday night, Bittu said, “Yogendra Yadav sabse bada aag lagane wala hai (Yogendra Yadav is the one responsible for inciting farmers that led to violence on January 26).”

Bittu said, “If the government nabs him (Yadav) it will be able to talk directly to the farmers. He is the one who would earlier talk about farm reforms. No farmer is against the country. The people of Punjab can never do anything to harm the dignity of the Tricolour.”

Bittu also claimed that “these people are the ones getting Khalistani funding”.

When Parliamentary Affairs Minister Prahlad Joshi asked him to explain the remarks by senior Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury that the BJP was behind the Republic Day violence while he was accusing Yadav of it, Bittu said that was because of the involvement of Deep Sidhu with BJP MP Sunny Deol.

Joshi accused Bittu of “misleading the people of the country”.

Objections were raised when Bittu claimed that the new laws said the ‘mandi system’ would be done away with. There was commotion when the Punjab MP made a personal remark against Union minister Anurag Thakur, who countered him on his statement.

Accusing him of  misleading the public, Thakur said, “Where is it mentioned in the laws that mandis will be closed? Nowhere do they say that the mandis will be scrapped. They first misled the Punjab farmers and now are misleading the country.”


Teacher faces action for taking part in farmers’ stir Association seeks immediate reinstatement

Teacher faces action for taking part in farmers’ stir

Photo for representation only. – File photo

Rohtak, February 8

The All-Haryana Private School Sangh has decried the state government’s move to suspend a schoolteacher allegedly for attending the ongoing farmers’stir at Tikri.

“The state has suspended Ajay Balhara, who has been training teachers as well as government officials for the success of the state-level ‘paudhagiri’ plantation drive, which is highly deplorable,” said sangh president Ravinder Nandal in a statement issued here on Monday.

“Balhara comes from a farming family and had gone there to know the concerns of the protesters, which is not a violation of any rule of law or constitutional provision,” said Nandal. The teachers’ association has demanded immediate reinstatement of Balhara, who had been serving as a postgraduate teacher of biology and was currently posted as the programme officer at the Director (Secondary Education), Haryana, at Panchkula. — TNS


Nearly impossible to reassemble Viraat now: Ship-breaker

Nearly impossible to reassemble Viraat now: Ship-breaker

The centaur-class aircraft carrier, INS Viraat, was in service with the Indian Navy for 29 years before being decommissioned in March 2017. — File Photo

Ahmedabad, February 10

The Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered status quo on the dismantling of decommissioned aircraft carrier ‘Viraat’, but a Gujarat-based ship-breaker who has purchased it said it is now too late for any restoration effort.

Over 40 per cent of the dismantling work has been completed so far, said Mukesh Patel, Chairman of Shree Ram Group based at Alang in Bhavnagar district which bought the ship at an auction in July last year for Rs 38.54 crore.

The firm began the dismantling at its ship-breaking yard at Alang in December 2020, and now it is impossible to reassemble the parts that have been cut, he said.

“Over 40 per cent of dismantling work is complete. We have already pulled the ship towards the shore and also dismantled some portions of the hull, making it impossible for the ship to remain afloat now,” said Patel, after learning about the SC order from the media.

“I have not received any notice yet from the court.

But it is already too late for the ship to be used for any other purpose. Our legal team would submit a reply if a notice is served to us,” he said.

The Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered status quo on the dismantling of ‘Viraat’ which was in service with the Indian Navy for nearly three decades.

A bench headed by Chief Justice S A Bobde issued notice to the Centre and others seeking response on a plea filed by a firm which seeks preservation of the ship as a museum.

The centaur-class aircraft carrier, INS Viraat, was in service with the Indian Navy for 29 years before being decommissioned in March 2017.

The Centre had in July 2019 informed Parliament that the decision to scrap Viraat was taken after due consultation with the Indian Navy. — PTI


Unions back suspended farmers’ groups Three-member panel probing R-Day violence seeks more time

Unions back suspended farmers’ groups

Farmers raise slogans during the protest against the three agricultural laws at the Singhu border on Monday. PTI

Mukesh Tandon

Tribune News Service

Sonepat, February 8

Farmers’ groups from Punjab have come out in support of the two farmers’ groups suspended after the violence in Delhi on Republic Day.

During a meeting of the forum of 32 Punjab farmers’ groups at Kundli yesterday, the farmer leaders questioned the suspension of the two farmer groups and demanded revocation of their suspension. The three-member panel formed to look into the issue also sought more time to submit its report.

The joint forum of 32 farmer unions had on January 27 suspended Surjeet Singh Phool, president of the Bhartiya Kisan Union (Krantikari), and Harpal Singh Sangha of the Azaad Kisan Committee, Doaba, for reportedly deviating from their route during the tractor march in the Capital.

According to sources, the issue of suspension was raised by other farmer leaders from Punjab. They asked why action was initiated only against two groups when thousands of farmers had turned towards the Outer Ring Road on Republic Day.

The farmer leaders stated that they had deviated from the route due to a traffic jam on account of tractors and other vehicles.

The farmer leaders demanded revocation of the suspension and the matter was deferred for the next meeting as three senior leaders — Darshan Pal Singh, Balbir Singh Rajewal and Jagjeet Singh Dallewal — were not present.

Major Singh Punnawal, general secretary of the All India Kisan Sabha, and Baldev Singh Nihalgarh, general secretary of the All India Kisan Sabha, submitted their statements in writing to the three-member panel.

They stated that they had deviated from the route unknowingly and turned towards the Outer Ring Road. They stated that when Harpal Singh Sangha, accompanying them, came to know of this, he decided to move back to the border.

They stated that their vehicle developed a fault, after which they reached Kundli in a private vehicle. A farmer leader from Punjab said on the condition of anonymity that the committee had sought four days to submit its report.

Kin of Accused seek fair probe

Karnal: “My father is innocent. He couldn’t have indulged in any violence,” says Amarjeet Singh, son of Sukhdev Singh (60), who was arrested by the Delhi Police from Chandigarh in connection with the Red Fort violence. “My father had been camping at Singhu for over two months. On Sunday, we were told that he was arrested from Chandigarh. He is innocent.” Seeking a fair probe, Sukhdev’s family claimed the police were hiding the truth. TNS


Farmers to hold ‘rail roko’ protest on Feb 18 from 12 pm to 4 pm across India

Farmers to hold ‘rail roko’ protest on Feb 18 from 12 pm to 4 pm across India

Farmers raise slogans during their protest against new farm laws, at Ghazipur border in New Delhi. PTI

Tribune News Service
Sonepat, February 10

The Samyukta Kisan Morcha on Wednesday decided to intensify the farmers’ movement.

The farmers will observe ‘rail roko’ (rail blockade) on February 18 for four hours from 12 pm to 4 pm across India.


Deep Sidhu arrested in connection with January 26 violence The arrest has been made by a team of Delhi Police’s Special Cell

http://

Tribune News Service

New Delhi/Chandigarh, February 9

Delhi Police have arrested Deep Sidhu, singer and activist and one of the prime accused of the January 26 violence.

The Special Cell of Delhi Police was involved in the operation. Police are yet to disclose the details as to how they zeroed in on the actor who was on the run for the past two weeks.

Reports suggest that he was found through his social media uploads as he was using his California-based friend for updates.

Deep Sidhu and a few others, including Lakha Sidhana, moved towards the Red Fort after breaking the barriers near Mukarba Chowk.

The protesters had ignored a pre-decided route on Republic Day, resulting in clashes with the police. It is alleged that Deep Sidhu handed the flag to another accused Jugraj Singh and it was hoisted at the Red Fort.

After registering an FIR in connection with the violence at Red Fort, Delhi Police had announced cash rewards of Rs 1 lakh each leading to the arrests of Deep Sidhu and three others.

Meanwhile, a Punjab Police spokesperson in Chandigarh declined to confirm if Deep Sidhu was arrested from Zirakpur or from any part of the state. “Punjab Police were not in the loop regarding this operation. We have no information from where he was arrested,” the spokesperson said.


Martyr’s kin upset over farmers being defamed

Martyr’s kin upset over farmers being defamed

Photo for representation only. PTI

Sukhmeet Bhasin
Tribune News Service
Mansa, February 8

The family members of martyr Sepoy Gurtej Singh of Mansa, who sacrificed his life in a clash with the Chinese army at Galwan valley in Ladakh last year, are upset over farmers being called terrorists, Naxals and separatists.

Gurtej’s father Virsa Singh, a resident of Birewala Dogra village in Budhlada subtehsil, is a marginal farmer and does farming on around three acres. He said: “We are opposing the farm laws as these will hit the marginal farmers like me hard. We demand the repeal of the laws at the earliest.”

He said even he had gone to the Tikri border on his tractor to protest the three farm laws. “Our son gave his life guarding the country’s border. It really pains us when we hear media houses and politicians terming us terrorists, Naxals and separatists. But we cannot do anything,” he said.

On January 26, martyr Sepoy Gurtej Singh was conferred with Param Vir Chakra posthumously. Manmander Singh Birewala, relative of the martyr, said: “We are proud that my nephew laid down his life fighting for the nation. We are part of India and nobody is demanding a separate state. We just want the three farm laws to be repealed”. He said he was not happy how the things unfolded at the Red Fort on Republic Day.

The martyr’s family has made an NGO, Shaheed Gurtej Singh Welfare Foundation. In June, 2020, Sepoy Gurtej Singh was amongst the 20 soldiers who attained martyrdom fighting with the Chinese army in Galwan valley


Slush, screams, darkness: Survivors recount horror ITBP men prove a godsend to many

Slush, screams, darkness: Survivors recount horror

Family members of trapped workers wait outside Tapovan tunnel. PTI

Mukesh Ranjan

Tribune News Service

Joshimath, February 8

Away from the anxieties dotting the flashflood-ravaged sites in Chamoli where rescue operation is underway, the ITBP’s base hospital at Joshimath in Uttarakhand presents a picture of hope.

Recuperating at this facility are 12 workers of the NTPC’s Tapovan hydel project, devastated by Sunday’s Nanda Devi glacier burst that left at least 26 dead while over 171 are missing. In shock, the rescued workers recount their brush with death and how they held on to life trapped in a slush-filled tunnel for over five hours on Sunday until ITBP teams arrived and pulled them out using ropes. “I was working in the tunnel when alarm bells suddenly went off.

Within seconds, there was frenzied commotion. All were shouting ‘bhago paani ka sailaab aa raha hai’ (save yourself from the deluge). I felt numb for a second, but mustered courage to run—albeit in the direction of water.

“The last thing I remember was getting stuck in slush until I was pulled out. Those six hours were the darkest in my life,” says Himachal Pradesh’s Satish Kumar, 31, among the first few to be rescued.

Andhra Pradesh’s KS Reddy, an electrician, says it’s surreal to be alive. “I normally don’t work in the tunnel but yesterday around 9.30 am, I went in to fix some lights. Around 10.15 am, water gushed inside, sweeping along several workers. The electrical wire I was carrying proved my saviour as I used it to anchor myself along the tunnel wall,” the 50-year-old recounts.

Among the survivors are Nepali nationals Chitra, Kiran, Basant and Sant Bahadur, all in shock, speechless, barely able to fold hands in gratitude when asked, “Are you fine?”

Uttar Pradesh’s Virendra Kumar, pulled out with ropes as machines could not work inside the tunnels, recalls, “I fell unconscious as the wall of water hit us. Don’t remember what happened next and regained consciousness only after reaching the hospital.”

Four Chamoli residents—Lal Bahadur, Rakesh Bhatt, Suraj and Vinod Singh—too survived, courtesy ITBP personnel who proved to be a godsend amid the catastrophe.


Lok Sabha logjam ends after Rajnath Singh appeals ‘to not break tradition’ Members free to speak on farm laws during discussion on Motion of Thanks, says Defence Minister

Lok Sabha logjam ends after Rajnath Singh appeals ‘to not break tradition’

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh speaks in the Lok Sabha during ongoing Budget Session of Parliament, in New Delhi, on Monday, February 8, 2021. LSTV/PTI photo

New Delhi, February 8

Lok Sabha resumed normal functioning Monday after a week-long disruption over the three Central farm laws following an appeal by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh that it was a duty of every member to maintain the tradition of passing the Motion of Thanks to President’s address.

After the House convened at 5 pm, Singh said the tradition of thanking the President has been continuing for long and it should not be broken in a healthy democracy.

He also said that Rajya Sabha has already passed the Motion of Thanks after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s reply and “I appeal to members not to break this tradition in the Lok Sabha”.

Singh said members are free to speak on farm laws during the discussion on the Motion of Thanks.

Congress Leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury too said this tradition has been continuing since 1921 and should not be broken.

“Our demand was to discuss the issue of farmers who have been sitting in the cold on the borders of Delhi in protest against farm laws. It is regrettable that they are being stopped from entering the capital by sharp nails and barbed wires,” he said referring to the reinforced barricading at the farmers’ protest sites.

He said the Opposition wanted an assurance from the government for a standalone discussion on the farmers’ issue either after the debate on Motion of Thanks or after the discussion on Budget.

Speaker Om Birla also appealed to the members to allow the House to function and not indulge in sloganeering.

The House was repeatedly disrupted by the Opposition members from February 2 over the three farm laws which was passed by Parliament in September last year.

Earlier Birla had called a meeting of leaders of different political parties to break the impasse in the House.

In the meeting, an agreement was reached to resume its normal functioning with Singh making an appeal to start the debate on President’s address. PTI