Sanjha Morcha

What’s New

Click the heading to open detailed news

Current Events :

web counter

Print Media Reproduced Defence Related News

Joint drama over JIT Slugfest over Pathankot probe; Oppn takes on Modi govt

Joint drama over JIT

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, April 5

Prime Minister Narendra Modi came in for sharp personal criticism from the Opposition today after reports that the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) which recently visited India has ruled out Pakistan’s hand in the Pathankot terror attack, terming it a “drama staged to malign Pakistan”.While the Congress described the development as a national embarrassment and demanded an apology from the PM and BJP chief Amit Shah, Delhi Chief Minister and AAP convener Arvind Kejriwal said the invitation to JIT was a “stab in the back of Bharat Mata”.The Government played down the development, saying it was along the expected lines. “This kind of a statement was expected from Pakistan. The JIT has made this comment to turn the opinion of Pakistan people against India. The statement comes even when Pakistan terrorists aided and abetted the Pathankot attack. India and Pakistan’s relations can be improved only through dialogue at various levels and it can take years,” Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said.The Congress said reports on the JIT exonerating Pakistan yet again exposed the double-faced Pakistan policy of PM Modi and revealed that the PM’s “56 inch chest and anti-Pakistan rhetoric had not paid off”.“A diplomatic crime has been committed. This has caused a national embarrassment,” Congress leader Anand Sharma said.AAP demanded an apology from Modi, arguing that inviting JIT while knowing well of Pakistan’s role amounted to giving a clean chit.

Govt forms panel to fix border gaps

  • New Delhi: The Government has constituted a high-level committee to suggest ways to further fortify security along the border with Pakistan and address gaps and vulnerability in fencing.Former Union Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta would be heading the committee, the Ministry of Home Affairs said in a statement.The committee has been asked to study gaps in fencing and all other vulnerabilities along the border and suggest a comprehensive approach to fix these permanently. The report has to be given in three months.The move has particularly come after terror strikes in Gurdaspur and Pathankot within six months by Pakistani terrorists. TNS

Excise duty hike on CSD liquor opposed

Dehradun, April 4

Ex-servicemen have opposed the state government’s decision to impose 7 per cent excise duty on liquor in CSD canteens. They want the state government to roll back its decision which has made liquor costlier by 30 per cent in comparison with the adjoining states.Brig KG Behl (retd), patron of the Indian Ex-servicemen League, in a statement issued here, said it was unfortunate that instead of reducing the excise duty, an increase of 7 per cent had been announced.“The rate is hiked in such a way that rates of liquor go up in CSD canteens. Earlier, the rates of different varieties of liquor were displayed in the canteen bills after adding excise duty. But nowadays the CSD cost of liquor is shown intact and the excise duty reflects separately as tax to keep purchasers under the impression that liquor is being sold on a par with the adjoining states,” he said.He requested the Governor to look into the issue seriously and reduce the excise duty in CSD canteens in the state.—TNS


Armed forces academy opens in Fatehgarh Sahib

Armed forces academy opens in Fatehgarh Sahib
Lt Gen KJ Singh, GOC-in-C, Western Command, presents the brigade’s plaque to SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar in Fatehgarh Sahib on Monday. A Tribune photo

Tribune News Service

Fatehgarh Sahib, April 4Lt Gen KJ Singh, GOC-in-C Western Command, inaugurated the armed forces preparatory academy at Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Engineering College here today.Lauding the SGPC for starting such an academy, Lt Gen Singh announced that the Western Command and 38 Armed core Patiala would have their respective trophies in Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Armed Forces Preparatory Academy.He urged the students to get inspired from the teachings of Guru Gobind Singh as he was the role model of sacrifice, sense of humility and character building. He added that Baba Banda Singh Bahadur on whose name this academy had been named was a General who could inspire a lot of people.Lt Gen Singh said earlier there were 4,000 officers in the Army out of 24,000 in the country. He rued that at present there were only 1,000 officers in the Army while the total number of officers had gone up to 38,000. He said two academies — Maharaja Ranjit Singh and Mai Bhago Academies — have been started by the state government.The institute, which is expected to function as a counterpart to the existing Maharaja Ranjit Singh Armed Forces Preparatory Institute for Men in Mohali, envisages a two-year programme, wherein besides pursuing academics, students would be equipped with skills required to become officers in the Army, Navy and the Air Force.For the inaugural batch, the academy has shortlisted 60 students from nearly 572 who had applied for admission.SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar, Political Advisor to Chief Minister Mahesh Inder Singh Grewal and college Principal Maj Gen Dr GS Lamba (retd) addressed the gathering.


Army chief visits Siachen, appreciates soldiers, porters

JAMMU: Army chief, general Dalbir Singh visited Siachen to on Friday to review the situation and also visited the site where 10 soldiers had died last month in an avalanche.

Defence spokesperson colonel SD Goswami said the army chief interacted with the soldiers serving there and commended them for their work.

The army chief said soldiers are performing their duties under extremely difficult conditions at Siachen and asked them to be careful towards avalanche threats.

General Dalbir also interacted with the porters who he said are working tirelessly to maintain the posts.

He was accompanied by northern army commander, lieutenant general DS Hooda and corps commander Lieutenant general SK Patyal.

As many as 10 soldiers and a porter had died in Siachen last month after being buried under an avalanche.

In another incident, two soldiers had died in the Turtuk sector of the place.


MP MLAs’ salary hiked by 55 pc

Bhopal: Legislators in Madhya Pradesh are set to become richer with the BJP-led state government approving a hike in their salary and allowances. The decision was taken on Wednesday at the state Cabinet meeting chaired by CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan. The government raised the salary and perks of members of the MP Assembly after six years. The Bill to this effect is expected to be tabled on Thursday. The salaries and allowances of MLAs will go up to Rs 1.1 lakh from the present Rs 71,000. The CM and the Speaker’s salary will increase to Rs 2 lakh from Rs 1.43 lakh and to Rs 1.85 lakh from Rs 1.2 lakh, respectively. PTI


Retd paramilitary forces’ personnel demand ‘one rank, one pension’

Retd paramilitary forces’ personnel demand ‘one rank, one pension’
Members of the Ex-Central Paramilitary Forces’ Welfare Association protest in Jammu on Tuesday. Tribune photo: Amarjeet Singh

Tribune News Service

Jammu, March 15

Staging a vociferous protest here, the Ex-Central Paramilitary Forces’ Welfare Association today reiterated its demand of “one rank, one pension” on a par with Defence personnel.Led by acting president SS Manhas, protesters that included retired personnel from the BSF and CRPF, Veer Naris and their dependents demanded that they being retired personnel from Central paramilitary forces be given their due share.Manhas alleged that due to utter neglect by successive regimes at the Centre and state, the retired personnel from Central paramilitary forces were compelled to live a “beggar’s” life.“A delegation will soon approach the IG, BSF, Jammu Frontier, and DIG, CRPF, Group Centre, Ban Talab, to submit them memorandums of demands marked to the Governor,” said Manhas, adding that the protest was held today to express solidarity with the retired personnel protesting at New Delhi for their rights and due share.General secretary of the association Darshan Kumar said besides “one rank, one pension” on the lines of Defence personnel, retired personnel of paramilitary forces demand revision of pension of pre-2006 retirees and widows’ pension on a par with the Zila Sainik Welfare Board, CSD facilities instead of CPC canteen, medical allowance of Rs 2,000 per month instead of Rs 500 as CGHS, medical facilities on a par with ECHS and allotment of land for setting up a residential colony for retired personnel.


2 Army men, civilian injured in grenade attack

Suhail A Shah

2 Army men, civilian injured in grenade attack

Anantnag, March 26

Three persons, two of them Army men, were wounded in a grenade attack by militants in Bijbehara town of Anantnag district, 40 km south of Srinagar, today.The soldiers are being treated at the Army’s 92-Base Hospital in the Badamibagh cantonment of Srinagar, while the civilian has been admitted to the SK Institute of Medical Sciences in the Soura area of the summer capital.As per police reports, the attack was carried out at about 2:20 pm on Saturday afternoon near the local police station along the Srinagar-Jammu national highway.“The Army men on duty were targeted in this area, which generally remains very busy,” a senior police official from the area said. He said all the three injured had splinter injuries. The injured were immediately taken to the nearby Sub-District Hospital, Bijbehara, from where they were shifted to the respective hospitals.“The civilian is stable, I am told. One of the Army men, however, was in a critical condition,” Medical Superintendent of the hospital, Dr Naheed, told The Tribune.The Army men, surprised by the attack, opened fire as per the eyewitnesses. The militants, however, fled the scene and did not retaliate.The injured civilian has been identified as Farooq Ahmad of Dupathyar village in the Bijbehara area. The identity of the Army men, however, remains to be ascertained as an Army spokesperson refrained from giving out any details. He also did not comment on the condition of the injured.Meanwhile, militant outfit Hizb-ul-Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the attack. The outfit spokesperson Burhan-ud-din talked to a local news agency to claim the responsibility for the attack.


Book on 1965 war hero released

AMRITSAR: Guru Nanak Dev University (GNDU ) vicechancellor Prof AS Brar on Monday released a book titled ‘Punjab ate Kashmir da Raakha Gen Harbaksh Singh’ authored by Brig Kuldip Singh Kahlon, an expert in defence affairs and member of Guru Nanak Dev University (GNDU) Senate.

Prof SS Johl, chancellor, Central University of Punjab, Bathinda, Prof Paramjit Singh, dean academic affairs, Prof Sharanjit Singh Dhillon, Registrar and members of the Senate were present on the occasion. The book is based on the leadership qualities of the late Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh on the western front during the 1965 Indo-Pakistan war.

Speaking on the occasion, Brig Kahlon said Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh led his troops from the front and instilled confidence in the jawans and officers. “At the time when the enemy was pressing hard to cut off Jammu and Kashmir from India, Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh took the important decision to put pressure on Pakistan, through the Punjab sector, particularly in the Khem Karan area. This eased the pressure on India.


Pathankot attack: India grants visas to Pak team

New Delhi, March 25

India has granted visas to five members of a Pakistani team probing the terror attack on the Pathankot air base in January this year.The Pakistani joint investigation team (JIT) has sought seven-day visas after it reaches India on March 27, it was reliably learnt on Friday.Following a meeting with Sartaj Aziz, adviser to the Pakistan prime minister on foreign affairs, on the sidelines of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (Saarc) ministerial meeting at Pokhara in Nepal last week, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj announced that the Pakistani JIT would arrive in India on March 27 and start its work from the following day.Seven Indian security personnel lost their lives when terrorists from across the border attacked the Indian Air Force base in Pathankot, Punjab, early on January 2.The Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) claimed responsibility for the attack in which all the six terrorists also were reportedly killed.The attack derailed the proposed Foreign Secretary-level talks that were scheduled for the middle of January after the two countries agreed in December last year to start a comprehensive bilateral dialogue.India has since sent “actionable evidence” to the Pakistani authorities. Pakistan filed an FIR in Gujranwala last month against “unknown” terrorists in connection with the attack. — IANS


Army most admired, respected institution: Dalbir Singh

Army chief was reviewing a passing out parade at the Officers’ Training Academy

Army chief General Dalbir Singh on Saturday said the force was the “most admired and respected institution” in the country and it was even being recognised by the international community.

436619-dalbir2-pti

“Indian Army has an image. Our Army is the most admired and respected institution in the country. We have rendered exemplary service in the face of external and internal challenges,” he said in his address after reviewing a passing out parade at the Officers’ Training Academy here. He said that Indian Army’s role in UN peacekeeping operations had been “lauded by the international community” and noted that Indian Army was not just for the power it represents, but also for maturity and responsibility.

Chennai: Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag with wife Namita arrives on a buggy to attend a passing out parade at the Officer Training Academy in Chennai on Saturday. PTI Photo by R Senthil Kumar  (PTI3_12_2016_000043A)
Chennai: Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag with wife Namita arrives on a buggy to attend a passing out parade at the Officer Training Academy in Chennai on Saturday. PTI Photo by R Senthil Kumar (PTI3_12_2016_000043A)

Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag with wife Namita arrives on a buggy to attend a passing out parade at the Officer Training Academy in Chennai on Saturday (PTI)

Earlier, 183 cadets, including 37 women, passed out as officers following an impressive parade. Among those inducted as officers were Lt Nikita A Nair, a former ‘May Queen Miss Pune’ who had walked the ramp for two fashion pageants, the Army said.

Lt G Vaishali was a professional Bharatnatyam dancer while Lt Balveer Singh Rathore from Jodhpur is the son of a tourist guide who wanted to make it to the Army. General Singh also gave away awards to outstanding cadets.

214e6aab-5880-413a-99c7-e63304f3697d

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

62627