Sanjha Morcha

What’s New

Click the heading to open detailed news

Current Events :

web counter

Print Media Reproduced Defence Related News

India could have gone nuclear as early as 1964: US intelligence

India could have gone nuclear as early as 1964: US intelligence
The 1974 Pokhran blast site being inspected by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi along with top nuclear scientists.

Washington, May 19The US intelligence community had concluded as early as 1964 that India was in a position to develop nuclear weapons, a declassified State Department report said, citing frequent change of the fuel core of the Canada-supplied reactor at Trombay.”The Indians are now in a position to begin nuclear weapons development if they chose to do so. We have no evidence, however, of a weapon research and development programme and would expect to see some if the programme existed,” the State Department Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) said in a report on May 14, 1964.The report along with several others was published yesterday by the National Security Archive and the Nuclear Proliferation International History Project.(Follow The Tribune on Facebook; and Twitter @thetribunechd)Noting that the fuel core of the Canadian-Indian Reactor (CIR) at Trombay was being changed every six months, the US intelligence report had raised questions about India’s nuclear objectives.It said a six-month period was quite short for “normal research reactor operations,” but it was the optimum time for using the CIR’s spent fuel for producing weapons grade plutonium.The report said the Canadians had not established specific safeguards when they made the reactor available to India thus giving the Indians a free hand in using the newly-built Phoenix plutonium separation plant to produce the fissile material.According to the State Department report, “India’s leadership might have had nationalistic motives for building the Phoenix plant but if it wanted a nuclear weapons capability it would seek such a capability”.INR report said it had no “direct evidence” of an Indian weapons programme and believed it was “unlikely” that India had made a decision to build a bomb.Nevertheless, it was “probably no accident” that “everything the Indians (had) done so far would be compatible with a weapons programme if at some future date it appeared desirable to start one”.According to INR, India had taken the “first deliberate decision in the series leading to a nuclear weapon,” which was to have “available, on demand, unsafeguarded weapons-grade plutonium or, at the least, the capacity to produce it.”    The report said that a scholar characterised this as India’s “proliferation drift, the slow but sure moves towards the development of nuclear weapons”. —  PTI


HONOURING A HERO::::MAA TUJE SALAAM

clip

The mother and wife of sepoy Dharma Ram of Mahar Regiment receive Shaurya Chakra (posthumous) from President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan on Saturday. Ram was honoured for saving the lives of two of his colleagues during an encounter with militants in Kashmir. He killed two ultras before succumbing to injuries during the firefight.


Pension hike for pre-2006 IAS retirees

New Delhi, May 18IAS and IPS officers, who have retired before 2006, will get a hike in pension, in addition to the arrears, as the Centre has done away with a provision of 33 years of service for earning full pension.The move comes after the Department of Pensions and Pensioners Welfare decided that the revised consolidated pension of pre-2006 pensioners shall not be lower than 50 per cent of the minimum of the pay in the pay band and the grade pay even if they had served for less than 33 years at the time of retirement.Necessary orders directing authorities concerned to calculate the revised pensions in respect of Union Government pensioners, excluding retirees of three all India services have already been issued. — PTI


China irked by US official’s remark that Arunachal is an integral part of India

A U.S. official’s remark that Washington regards Arunachal Pradesh as part of India has spurred China to ask U.S. for a verification and clarification on it, reported Press Trust of India. The Chinese foreign ministry in a written response said “intervention of any third party” in the Sino-Indian border dispute will “only complicate the issue.”

On April 28, U.S. Consul General in Kolkata Craig L Hall told Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Kalikho Pul that the US government is absolutely clear that Arunachal Pradesh is an integral part of India.

“China and India are wise and capable enough to deal with their own issue and safeguard the fundamental and long-term interests of the two peoples,” China’s foreign ministry said in its rejoinder. It added that the U.S. statement was “completely inconsistent” with the existing fact.

India holds that its 3,488 km-long border with China, called Line of Actual Control (LAC), is entirely under dispute starting from Aksai Chin in the north to Arunachal Pradesh in the east. China, however, has excluded the Aksai Chin area it occupied during the 1962 war, and confined its boundary dispute with India only to Arunachal Pradesh. It claims that the north eastern state as the southern part of its Tibet province.

“The boundary question between China and India bears on China’s territorial sovereignty and Chinese people’s sentiment,” said the ministry. It added that all the third parties must respect the history and reality concerning the boundary question and respect efforts of negotiation.

Last month, the two countries completed the 19th round of border talks by their special representatives National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and his Chinese counterpart Yang Jiechi.

India’s long pending boundary dispute with China needs a fair, equitable and mutually acceptable settlement through negotiations, it said. Though the boundary is yet to be officially drawn, peace and tranquillity exists in its border towns — unlike the country’s western borders with Pakistan. This favourable condition has helped both the countries to grow their bilateral relation and development.


Free coaching for Army recruitment from June 1

Bathinda, May 4

Col Sarabjit Singh Sangha (retd), District Defence Services Welfare Board, Bathinda, today stated that the office of the District Defence Services Welfare Board, Bathinda, was starting free six weeks coaching for preparation of exams for NDA and CDS recruitment as Army officers.Besides imparting coaching in all the related subjects, the candidates will also be taught personality development. He added that since the number of candidates was limited, the aspirants should get enrolled for the courses as soon as possible. He also appealed the mathematics, English and general knowledge experts to approach the board to impart coaching. He added that the work on linking living proof certificate with the Aadhar card was going on.He appealed to the ex-servicemen and widows/dependents to get their two documents linked so that they do not face problem in receiving their pension. For further information, one can also contact at 0164-2212612. — TNS


Jawan succumbs during endurance training, colleagues beat up Major

GUWAHATI: An Army jawan, sent on a 10-km “route march” even after he had complained of chest pain, collapsed and died, possibly of a cardiac arrest.

After his death, four to five fellow jawans got “emotional and agitated” and picked up an altercation with their unit adjutant, a Major, leading to a fight with him. Army sources confirmed there were some injuries but they were not serious.

The incident was reported from eastern Arunachal Pradesh on Sunday. The exact location was not disclosed by Army authorities. The unit involved was 8 Jammu & Kashmir Rifles, which comes under 3 Corps, which is based in Nagaland’s Dimapur.

The 3 Corps and Assam’s Tezpur based 4 Corps look after security in Arunachal, which shares its border with China, Bhutan and Myanmar. Army sources said the jawan went ahead with the route march after the unit’s Medical Officer had found him “fit” during an examination.

The examination was carried out after the jawan had complained of chest pain.

“It was an endurance training involving 30 to 40 jawans. When the jawan collapsed, he was immediately brought to the Field Ambulance where he succumbed,” an Army officer told Express on the condition of anonymity.

The social media is abuzz with reports of a “mutiny-like” situation in the area. The reports suggested that the route march was a punishment drill, ordered following a recent clash between a jawan and a Captain, in which some other jawans and officers got involved. The Captain was stated to be critical.

Army sources rubbished the reports as “rumours”. The officer also categorically said that it was not an act of mutiny. “Any act of violence, done by an individual, is an act of indiscipline. When two or more individuals are involved, it’s an act of mutiny. However, this case is not exactly mutiny, rather, it’s a case of the troops running amok,” he claimed.

Sources within the Army said that an investigation has been ordered into the alleged scuffle between the jawans and Army officer.


Assam Rifles to aid ITBP in guarding Indo-Myanmar border

TBP HAS ASKED FOR OVER 30 ADDITIONAL BATTALIONS TO TAKE OVER THE SECURITY AT INDO-MYANMAR BORDER

NEW DELHI: The government may transfer around a dozen battalions of Assam Rifles to the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) to facilitate the force to carry out their security duties at porous Indo-Myanmar border, sources said.

HT FILE“An in-principal decision has already been taken to transfer the guarding duties at IndoMyanmar border to the ITBP. Its cost and other implications are being discussed between ministries of home, defence and finance. The plan is to transfer some of the battalions of Assam Rifles to the ITBP for providing it additional resources to kickstart their duty. A final decision is expected soon,” said a home ministry official requesting anonymity.

The ITBP has asked for over 30 additional battalions (around 30,000 personnel) to take over the security duties at Indo-Myanmar border. The ITBP already guards the Indo-China border.

At the moment, around 15,000 personnel or 15 battalions of Assam Rifles guard the 1,643 km Indo-Myanmar border. Besides the border guarding duties, over 30,000 personnel from the Assam Rifles are also responsible for the counter-insurgency duties in the Northeastern states.

Though, the Assam Rifles is part of the Union home ministry, it works under the command of the Indian Army.

The government had been deliberating for long to transfer the Indo-Myanmar border guarding duties to the ITBP, following a recommendation by a task force headed by RN Ravi, chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee, .

The task force was constituted to suggest measures to strengthen monitoring of Indo-Myanmar border which is prone to infiltration from Northeastern insurgents and smugglers.

“The government had sanctioned around 15 additional battalions (around 15,000 personnel) of Assam Rifles for strengthening security at the Indo-Myanmar border. They may now move to the ITBP,” said another home ministry official requesting anonymity due to sensitive nature of deliberations.

Besides transferring border guarding duties at IndoMyanmar border to the ITBP, the government is planning to put in additional measures to monitor movement of people across the border.

At Indo-Myanmar border, as a special measure both the countries allow movement up to 16 km across the border without visa restrictions. It is called Free Movement Regime (FMR) in order to help tribal people living across the border in maintaining generational ties with each other.

“The government is planning to provide additional measures like biometric identity cards for better monitoring of the FMR facility,” said a security source.


Indian-origin trainee RAF pilot dies in UK

Indian-origin trainee RAF pilot dies in UK
Photo courtesy: Ajvir Sandhu’s Facebook account

London, May 3

A 25-year-old Indian-origin trainee pilot with Britain’s Royal Air Force (RAF) was killed when his aircraft crashed in a remote field in the West Midlands region of England.Ajvir Sandhu, with a fellow RAF student, 21-year-old Cameron James Forster, were both stationed at RAF Linton-on-Ouse in North Yorkshire, an elite ‘Top Gun’ style academy 15 miles from the scene when they crashed on Saturday.Paramedics declared them dead at the scene and RAF released the names of the student pilots yesterday.”We were very saddened to hear of the deaths of Ajvir Sandhu and Cam Forster in a civilian flying accident at the weekend.”They were both exceptionally talented young men in the prime of their lives. The thoughts of everyone at RAF Linton-on-Ouse are with their family and friends at this difficult time,” said Group Captain Ian Laing, the station commander at Royal Air Force Linton-on-Ouse.Sandhu graduated with a first class degree and Masters in Geoscience from Durham University, was selected from 3,000 cadets to accompany the Lord Lieutenant of London on royal duties throughout 2010, the Evening Standard reported.While at Durham he was a member of the Northumbria Universities Air Squadron, an RAF Volunteer Reserve unit, and was named best all-round cadet during officer training at RAF College Cranwell.”Ajvir, you were inspirational. You were one of the most compassionate, determined and focused human beings that I ever had the pleasure to share time with,” one of his friends wrote on Facebook. — PTI


Naib Subedar duped of Rs 5.85 lakh

Chandigarh, May 1

A Naib Subedar has complained that someone withdrew around Rs 5.85 lakh from his account after exchanging his ATM card at an ATM booth in Sector 22.According to the police, complainant Umesh Chander Pandey, a resident of N-Area, Airport Road, Chandigarh, reported that someone exchanged his ATM Card at PNB ATM, booth 1-2, Sector 22-D. The complainant claimed that Rs 5.85 lakh was withdrawn from his account between March 3 to 13. . A case of cheating has been registered. — TNS

28307