All posts by webadmin

ON THE FRONTLINE Siachen glacier — Avalanche deaths unacceptable

Arun Joshi

We have been condemned to count casualties in the Siachen glacier. Ten more soldiers have died as their post was swamped by a giant snow wall on February 3. This tragedy is greater as they did not die fighting the enemy. “There are remote chances” of now finding their bodies buried under tonnes of snow.Why should they die like this? The Ministry of Defence and the top brass of the Army have to answer this. Soldiers have been stationed at the glacier since 1984 to guard the nation’s strategic asset. That strategic assets have to be guarded whatever the cost, is an argument well taken. But those who guard it deserve extraordinary protection too from blizzards, frostbites and mental ailments to maintain vigil at the highest battlefield of the world. Over the decades, the Centre could not install an effective avalanche warning system at the glacier where billions of rupees of taxpayers are being spent every year.In the 1990s, it was claimed that an effective avalanche warning system was in place. That system rarely seems to work. Soldiers were asked to celebrate the installation of a satellite phone with which they could talk to their families. The facility was provided to help them battle the isolation of their snow-bound station. But there was no internal communication system to forewarn them at 19,600 feet that they were in an avalanche-prone area. The whole glacier is not avalanche-prone but still posts were set up where snow rivers can hit them any time.The problem is four-fold. Firstly, it is the glacier itself, which has not been properly delineated. The cartographers while drawing the Line of Control (earlier the ceasefire line) after the Simla Agreement in 1972 left things undefined. Secondly, the bureaucracy does not have much knowledge of the weather and terrain but decides what the soldiers should or should not have. They sit on the files while the soldiers wait and die.Thirdly, the plague of corruption has brought soldiers in harm’s way at the glacier. Corruption is as deadly as the hostile surroundings. The former Defence Minister had been put in the picture about the poor quality of shoes and socks. He had been told that the stockings provided to soldiers failed to protect them from frostbites. But, there is yet no word suggesting that the soldiers deployed and operating in – 45 degrees Celsius should get an adequate gear. Their special rations are sold on the black market in Leh. A few inquiries indicted low-rung officers; others were closed without telling anyone what happened to the men involved in brazen corruption. In 2005, water was passed off as diesel. Fourthly, there are ceremonial visits which make headlines while the soldiers are made to wait for years for the promised substantive things.The soldiers are told that the whole nation salutes them for their bravery and fortitude for standing high at the highest battlefield of the world. The saga of bravery, however, is not written with the burial of soldiers under avalanches.In the 21st century, there is a need to devise a clear, political, diplomatic and military strategy. The political leadership should summon the courage to take a call about how to save the soldiers from such unnatural deaths.

BATTLING THE ELEMENTS

iachen acts as a wedge between Shaksgam valley under China’s control and Baltistan, which is occupied by Pakistan

India launched Operation Meghdoot in April 1984 after the Pakistani army occupied dominating heights on the glacier, a 76km river of slow moving ice

India currently sits on dominating positions overlooking Pakistani posts located 3,000 feet below

India has deployed around 3,000 soldiers at Siachen where temperatures can drop to minus 60 degrees Celsius

Soldiers have to trek for almost 28 days covering a stretch of 128km to reach some of the farthest pickets

‘Removing troops not a solution’

VISAKHAPATNAM: Terming the recent death of 10 soldiers in an avalanche on the Siachen glacier “painful”, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Sunday that withdrawing troops from the world’s highest battlefield could not be a solution. “This incident is painful to me personally, but the solution that is suggested is not a proper analysis,” he said, referring to demands that Indian soldiers be withdrawn from the glacier.

Asked if the proposal to convert Siachen into a “peace mountain” still exists, the minister said: “The decision (on deploying troops) on Siachen is based on the security of the nation.”


Despite risk to soldiers, Siachen is vital to India’s security

The death of 10 soldiers in an avalanche at Siachen has brought the spotlight back to the harsh conditions faced by troops at the world’s highest battlefield and also its strategic importance to India.

Islamabad has made repeated demands for demilitarising the glacier invoking the aspect of long-term peace but India has always taken a cautious approach on the issue.Defence officials say that as long as the glacier is under India’s control, the Pakistani army can’t link up with the Chinese and pose threat to Ladakh. It acts as a wedge between the Shaksgam valley under China’s control and Baltistan, which is occupied by Pakistan.

The Indian Army launched Operation Meghdoot in April 1984 to secure the glacier after Pakistan army occupied the heights at Siachen, a 76-km river of slow moving ice.

Several rounds of talks between India and Pakistan on demilitarising the Siachen glacier — an old sore in bilateral ties — have failed with Islamabad refusing to authenticate troop positions on the ground.

In fact, India deployed its soldiers on Siachen after Pakistan began allowing international mountaineering expeditions to the glacier, sending out a signal that it controlled the area. Different interpretations of the 1949 ceasefire agreement by the two countries also aggravated the dispute.

India, which spends Rs 5 to Rs 7 crore daily on guarding the strategic glacier, has deployed around 3,000 soldiers at Siachen where temperatures can drop to minus 60 degrees. The location at 19,600 feet where the 10 soldiers died often sees temperatures plunging to minus 42 degrees.

Soldiers have to trek for almost 28 days covering a stretch of 128 km to reach some of the farthest pickets on the glacier, one of the most desolate places on this planet.

Almost 80% posts on the glacier are located above 16,000 feet, with Bana towering above the rest at 21,753 feet. Bana post is named after Subedar Bana Singh who was awarded the Paramvir Chakra for his helping secure the glacier in 1984.

Indian Army has cautioned against withdrawing from Siachen until Islamabad authenticates troop positions on the ground as it would be a formidable task to reclaim the glacier.

India currently occupies dominating positions on the Saltoro ridge with Pakistani posts located 3,000 feet below.


WW-II veteran awaits gallantry reward promised in 1944

Archit Watts

Tribune News Service

Khirkian Wala (Muktsar), Feb 5A 94-year old World War-II veteran, Karnail Singh of Khirkian Wala village, claims he is still to get the gallantry award promised to him for showing exemplary courage in 1944 in Italy.A Lance Naik in the British Army, Karnail Singh was honoured with the Indian Distinguished Service Medal (IDSM) on May 11, 1944. “The award carried a medal and Rs 5,000 or 25-acre land. Though I was given Rs 2,500 by the then Deputy Commissioner of Ferozepur in 1946, the remaining amount has not been given till date,” claimed Karnail Singh.Showing a bunch of documents, Karnail Singh said, “I am not seeking any favour, but demanding what was promised to me. The correspondence done over the past 58 years, which I started in 1958, has so far failed to have any result. I have contacted everyone, right from top state politicians to the Army and British High Commission too. Everyone has passed the buck to another authority by forwarding a letter. Even the applications sent to the Sainik Welfare Office have failed to give me any satisfactory reply.”Recalling his service days, Karnail Singh said that he served in various countries, including Iran, Africa, Sudan, Alexandria and Italy. “I proved my mettle in Italy when all the soldiers except me and platoon commander were killed while fighting the enemies. Suddenly, they hurled a bomb which wounded me badly. But I continued firing and killed a number of enemy soldiers. Later, they surrendered to me. I, along with my commander, was admitted to a hospital there,” he claimed.Notably, this old man was once honoured in 1998 by the district administration during the Republic Day function. Further, Kripa Shankar Saroj, the then Deputy Commissioner of Muktsar, had sent a letter on February 1, 1999 to the then Principal Secretary, Defence Services Welfare, Punjab, with his recommendation of giving the remaining amount to this former soldier.Karnail Singh now lives with his adopted son Iqbal Singh and his family at his ancestral house in the village that is located 10 km from Muktsar town.He joined the British Army in 1939 as a sepoy in Sialkot Depot and after Independence, he was shifted to 4 Sikh Regiment. He retired as a havildar in 1958 and is getting a monthly pension of nearly Rs 20,000 and Rs 1,650 annuity.Further, during a visit to the Sainik Welfare Office, Karnail Singh’s framed photograph was found displayed on a wall and a huge file had been made on his name.Commander Baljinder Singh Virk (retd), District Sainik Welfare Officer, who holds the additional charge of Muktsar district, said, “As per a letter received in 1997 from the Directorate, there is no provision to give cash award to pre-Independence gallantry awardees in the state. The state government gives annuity to them. But this is a very old case and we will have to find out all the related documents from Ferozepur, Faridkot offices as Muktsar was earlier part of these two districts. Besides, we will put up this case before our Director.”When contacted, Brig JS Arora (retd), Director, Sainik Welfare, Punjab, said, “He should meet us and we will definitely honour him. But I am not aware of this case. He should have taken up the matter with the Centre.”


स्वतंत्रता सेनानी की पत्नी ने सम्मान लेने से किया इनकार

Posted On January – 27 – 2016

होशियारपुर, 27 जनवरी (निस)

गणतंत्र दिवस समारोह के दौरान स्वतंत्रता सेनानियों के परिवारों को समानित किये जाने के दौरान मुख्यातिथि स्वास्थ्य मंत्री सुरजीत कुमार ज्याणी उस वक्त हतप्रभ रह गये जब सालभर उपेक्षा किये जाने का आरोप लगाते हुए एक स्वतंत्रता सेनानी की पत्नी ने उनके द्वारा दिये जा रहे सम्मान को लेने से
इंकार कर दिया।
यह कदम उठाया नेताजी सुभाष चंद्र बोस के ड्राइवर रहे जय सिंह की पत्नी चन्नण कौर ने। चन्नण कौर का आरोप था कि न तो जिला प्रसासन और न ही पुलिस उनकी सुनवाई करती है। और बस दिखावे के लिए 15 अगस्त व 26 जनवरी को उन्हें बुलाकर दो मीटर कपड़ा थमा दिया जाता है।
चन्नण कौर का कहना था कि उन्हें जब भी किसी काम से प्रशासनिक व पुलिस अधिकारियों के पास जाना पड़ता है तो उनकी पूरी तरह अनदेखी की जाती है। उनका कहना था कि कई बार तो पुलिस वालों ने उन्हें पकड़ कर थाने या दफ्तर से बाहर भी निकाला है।

केंद्र ने दी 17 रिजर्व बटालियनों के गठन को मंजूरी

Posted On January – 27 – 2016

नयी दिल्ली, 27 जनवरी (एजेंसियां)
केन्द्रीय मंत्रिमंडल ने आतंकवाद और नक्सलवाद की समस्या से निपटने के लिए 17 रिजर्व बटालियनों के गठन को आज मंजूरी दे दी। इनमें से 5 बटालियन जम्मू-कश्मीर, 4 छत्तीसगढ़ , 3 झारखंड, 3 ओडिशा और 2 महाराष्ट्र के लिए होंगी। इसी के साथ काबुल में अफगान संसद भवन के निर्माण की 969 करोड़ रुपये की संशोधित लागत को आज पूर्व प्रभाव से मंजूरी दे दी गयी। यह भवन गत दिसंबर में ही तैयार हो गया था।
प्रधानमंत्री नरेन्द्र मोदी की अध्यक्षता में हुई मंत्रिमंडल की बैठक में इस आशय के प्रस्तावों को मंजूरी दी गयी। इन बटालियानों में स्थानीय युवाओं को भर्ती में प्राथमिकता दी जायेगी।
जम्मू-कश्मीर की 5 बटालियनों में सिपाहियों और चतुर्थ श्रेणी के कर्मचारियों की 60 प्रतिशत भर्ती राज्य के सीमावर्ती जिलों से की जायेगी। नक्सल प्रभावित राज्यों में सिपाहियों की 75 प्रतिशत भर्ती नक्सली गतिविधियों के गढ़ माने-जाने वाले 27 जिलों से की जायेगी। आतंकवाद की बढ़ती घटनाओं को देखते हुए लंबे समय से रिजर्व बटालियनों के गठन की मांग की जा रही थी।
साइबर सुरक्षा के 3 समझौतों पर हस्ताक्षर
इंडियन कंप्यूटर इमर्जेंसी रेस्पांस टीम (सीईआरटी-इन) ने मलेशिया, सिंगापुर व जापान स्थित अपनी समकक्ष इकाइयों के साथ साइबर सुरक्षा के क्षेत्र में सहयोग के समझौते किए हैं। संचार व आईटी मंत्रालय के बयान में यह जानकारी दी गयी है। इन समझौतों का उद्देश्य भारत तथा इन देशों के बीच साइबर सुरक्षा से जुड़े मामलों में ज्ञान व अनुभव साझा करने को प्रोत्साहित करना है।


President Mukherjee approves 11 gallantry awards

President Pranab Mukherjee has approved the award of one Ashok Chakra, two Kirti Chakras and eight Shaurya Chakras to the Indian Army personnel on the occasion of Republic Day 2016.

The list of awardees:

Ashok Chakra

Lance Naik Mohan Nath Goswami (Posthumous), 9 PARA (Special Force)

Kirti Chakra

Subedar Mahendra Singh, Sena Medal, 9 PARA (Special Force)

Sepoy Jagdish Chand (Posthumous), 546 DSC Platoon

Shaurya Chakra

Colonel Santosh Yashwant Mahadik (Posthumous), Sena Medal, 41 Rashtriya Rifle (PARA)

Major Praphul Kumar Bhardwaj, 12 PARA (Special Force)

Major Anurag Kumar, 9 PARA (Special Force)

Major Sandip Yadav, 55 Rashtriya Rifle (Armed)

Lieutenant Harjinder Singh, 3 KUMAON

Naik Satish Kumar (Posthumous), 21 Rashtriya Rifle (Guards)

Naik Kheem Singh Mehra, 21 KUMAON

Sepoy Dharma Ram (Posthumous), 1 Rashtriya Rifle (MAHAR)

– See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/president-pranab-mukherjee-has-approved-11-gallantry-awards-to-the-indian-army-on-republic-day/#sthash.V2zleHXj.dpuf


Top gallantry awards for Pathankot hero, Kashmir braveheart

NEW DELHI: An unarmed Sepoy who chased a terrorist, snatched his assault weapon and killed him during the Pathankot terror attack, and a para commando who was part of three critical operations in Kashmir, in which 12 terrorists were killed, will be posthumously awarded top gallantry medals on Republic Day.

Sepoy Jagdish Chand, who belonged to the Defence Service Corps (DSC), will be conferred with the Kirti Chakra, the country’s second-highest peacetime gallantry award, for killing one of the terrorists that had stormed the DSC mess at the Pathankot airbase on January 2.

Chand, a cook, was one of the seven security personnel killed in the attack.

The country’s highest peacetime gallantry award, Ashoka Chakra, will be given to Lance Naik Mohan Nath Goswami of 9 Para (Special Forces), who killed two terrorists and assisted in neutralising another two during an operation in Haphruda forest of J&K’s Kupwara district’s last September.

Despite being hit by bullets, Goswami helped save the lives of three of his wounded colleagues. The 365 gallantry awards and other decorations approved by the President this Republic Day include one Ashoka Chakra, four Kirti Chakras and 11 Shaurya Chakras. The other Kirti Chakra awardees are Subedar Mahendra Singh of 9 Para (SF), head constable Rajesh Atra and constable Gautam Koch (Posthumous).

Colonel Santosh Yashwant Mahadik, who led his troops from the front and was killed in a gun battle with terrorists in Kupwara last November, has been awarded the Shaurya Chakra. Two ITBP personnel will be awarded the police medal for gallantry for their role in the September, 2014, border standoff with China in the Ladakh region — assistant commandant Deepak Singh and head constable Kanwar Singh.

Kirti Chakra for DSC Pathankot braveheart

Vijay Mohan,Tribune News Service,Chandigarh, January 25

2016_1$largeimg26_Tuesday_2016_011054358

Sepoy Jagdish Chand of the Defence Security Corps (DSC), who died while grappling with terrorists during the Pathankot attack earlier this month, has been decorated posthumously with the Kirti Chakra, the second highest peacetime gallantry award.He is among the two heroes from the Western Command who have been awarded for bravery. Lance Naik Naresh Singh Rajput of the Rajputana Rifles has been decorated with the Sena Medal (Gallantry) for his acts during the terrorist encounter in Dinanagar near Pathankot in July last year. The awards have been announced on the eve of the 67th Republic Day.Jagdish Chand was working in the mess in the wee hours of January 2, when terrorists struck under the cover of darkness. Despite being caught unawares, he tackled one of the terrorists, snatched his weapon and shot him. In the meantime, he was fired upon and fell to other terrorists’ bullets. He was among the first security personnel to engage the terrorists.Hailing from Chamba district in Himachal Pradesh, he served in the Dogra Regiment and after retiring in 2009, he was re-employed with the DSC, which is deployed on security duties at military establishments. He had been transferred to Pathankot from Leh last month and had joined duty just a day before the incident after returning from a 10-day leave.


भारत में है दुनिया का ‘नंबर वन’ होटल और किराया कुछ ज्यादा नहीं..बस 50 हजार प्रतिदिन!!

umaid-bhawan-650_650x488_41453400286

मुंबई: ट्रैवल साइट ट्रिपएडवाइजर के एक सर्वे की मानें तो जोधपुर के उम्मेद भवन पैलेस को दुनिया का सबसे अच्छा होटल आंका गया है। यह निष्कर्ष अलग अलग समीक्षाओं और टिप्पणियों के आधार पर निकाला गया है। बलुआ पत्थर से बने इस भव्य होटल में 347 कमरे हैं। ट्रिपएडवाइजर के ‘ट्रेवलर्स च्वाइस अवार्ड फार होटल्स’ में दुनिया के शीर्ष होटल श्रेणी में इसे पहले स्थान पर रखा गया है। इस श्रेणी के 25 शीर्ष होटलों की सूची में मैसूर का ऑरेंज कंट्री रि‍सॉर्ट 13वें स्थान पर है।

होश उड़ाने वाला किराया’
महाराजा उम्‍मेद सिंह के नाम पर बने इस महल को 1943 में पूरा किया गया और यह जोधपुर के राजघराने का शाही निवास था। उम्‍मेद भवन पैलेस के 347 कमरों में 64 कमरों का रखरखाव ताज होटल के हवाले है और पर्यटकों के लिए उपलब्‍ध हैं। अलग अलग ट्रैवेल वेबसाइट के अनुसार उम्‍मेद भवन पैलेस होटल में दो लोगों के लिए एक सामान्‍य कमरे का औसत किराया 50 हजार रुपये प्रति दिन है। यही नहीं महल में एक संग्रहालय भी है। उम्‍मेद भवन पैलेस का डिजाइन मशहूर एडवर्डियन आर्किटेक्‍ट हेनरी लैनकेस्‍टर ने तैयार किया था और इसपर पूर्वी और पश्चिमी दोनों ही वास्‍तुकला का असर दिखता है।